|Vacancy: || LGC, Teddington, UK: Researcher Inorganic Mass Spectrometry (6702)|
Posting date: 06.12.2019
|Type: || Other ( permanent ) positions |
LGC is offering a position for a researcher joining its Inorganic Analysis team.
The Inorganic Analysis team develops reference methodology and delivers high accuracy calibration and measurement services in support of LGC’s role as the UK’s National Measurement Laboratory (NML) and Designated Institute for chemical and bio-analytical measurements. In addition, the team undertakes contract research and development projects for a range of customers in both the public and private sectors. The team is equipped with a wide range of mass spectrometric techniques for applications in elemental analysis, nanomaterials characterisation, organo-metallic speciation, isotope ratio measurements and solid sampling and imaging applications. The instrumentation includes particle tracking analysis, multi-angle dynamic and static light scattering, elemental analyser-IRMS, ESI MS/MS and ICP-MS (single and triple quadrupole, magnetic sector, time-of-flight and multi-collector) coupled to LC, GC, field-flow-fractionation and laser ablation.
The job holder will contribute to the development, optimisation and validation of analytical methods to deliver NML work, in particular in the single particle and single cell analysis area, as well as to support private sector R&D contract commitments within the scope of inorganic analysis. They will be required to use advanced instrumental techniques and to employ a variety of sample digestion and preparation techniques as required.
- Independent day-to-day planning and delivery of challenging research and development work to quality, time and budget
- Publication and dissemination of scientific developments and achievements.
- Provision of support with the formulation of R&D commercial contracts
The successful candidate will have a recent PhD or equivalent experience in the area of bio-inorganic mass spectrometry, in particular in the areas of single particle and single cell analysis. Key knowledge, skills and qualities are the following.
- Knowledge of the use and application of a range of techniques and instrumentation for inorganic mass spectrometry with focus on ICP-MS in single particle and/or single cell mode.
- Expertise in hyphenated techniques (e.g. AF4-ICP-MS) is highly valued
- A good track record in delivering complex and challenging research and development projects within timescale & budget
- Enthusiastic and innovative scientist
- Self reliant and self motivated team player with good organisational skills
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- Experience in independent writing of publications for peer reviewed scientific journals
- Attention to detail and a positive attitude to learning
- This is an excellent development opportunity for a candidate looking to build their career in analytical science, working with recognised experts.
For more information about LGC, please visit their website www.lgcgroup.com