Foss A/S - Process Analytics Food
| Year of introduction
Spectrometer ( Molec. ): NIR
Applications: Edible oils and fats, chocolate confectionery, salad dressings and condiments.
Process Analytics™ offers on-line analysis of food products measuring parameters such as fat, moisture, protein, acidity, brix, total solids and others.
The instrument provides real time analysis information. As with laboratory NIR analysis, no sample handling or conditioning is required. The measurement is made inside the process, using near-infrared light. Examples of food products that can be controlled on-line:
A high analytical performance is achieved by combining a state of the art scanning instrument with modern calibration development software. The Near Infrared (NIR) technology applies no chemicals, making Process Analytics suitable for the food production process environment.
- Edible oils and fats (e.g. soybean oil, rape seed oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, corn oil)
- Chocolate confectionery products such as cocoa liquor, cocoa powder, crumb and chocolate mass
- Salad dressings and condiments (mayonnaise, ketchup, tomato based pasta sauces and other wet sauces).
Benefits and features
The benefits of using the NIR based Process Analytics™ are many –
the most important one being the possibility of achieving real time
information from the production lines analysing many parameters at the
same time with high analysis frequency. The Process Analytics solutions
are designed to measure either in a pipeline of food products or
directly on a conveyor belt.
The economic benefits of on-line process analysis have been proven in many food applications.
Economical benefits due to tighter process control
Performance related benefits due to new component target
- High up time of production
- Saved components
- More frequent results – cheaper analyses
- Consistent production flow through immediate regulation and adjustment according to results
- Uniform quality – limitation of rejected finished products
- Saved labour costs
Environmentally related benefits
- Higher analytic performance
- Consistent, optimised product composition
- Rugged full scanning monochromator design suited for the harshest food process environment
- NEMA 4/ IP65 enclosures
Process Analytics™ model 5000, 5500 and 6500 are factory-configured packages. The system configuration is based on actual field experiences and usage and on the requirements set by food and dairy manufactures.
General spectrophotometer specifications
Wavelength range (model 5000)
Wavelength range (model 5500)
Wavelength range (model 6500)
- Polystyrene std. to instrument: +/-0.3 nm
- Instrument to instrument: +/- 0.1 nm
Instrument precision (standard deviation of 10 consecutive scans)
+/- 0.01 nm
Working range (model 5000: 1100-2500 nm)
Working range (model 5500: 700-1100 nm)
Working range (model 6500: 400-2500 nm)
Linearity (2% to 99% reflectivity or transmissivity)
< 0.1% at 2300 nm
15°C - 33°C (59°F - 92°F)
150 watt (maximum)