This Site automatically collects information on our server logs from your web browser regarding your use of the Site. Examples of information we collect automatically from all users include the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet; computer and connection information such as browser type and version, operating system, and platform; and full Uniform Resource Locator ("URL") click stream data, including date and time, and content you viewed or searched for on the Site.
This Site also collects information through the use of "cookies." Cookies are anonymous, unique alphanumeric identifiers sent to your browser from a web site's computers and stored on your computer's hard drive. The type of information we collect as a result of a cookie being stored on your computer is specific to your computer. We use "session" cookies to collect information about your use of the Site (e.g., whether you are logged in) and so that you may view articles, abstracts or other records and browse from page to page. These cookies are temporary and are deleted when you close your browser.
We collect and use, and may from time to time supply third parties with, this information only as anonymous, aggregated user data for the purposes of usage analysis, quality control and administering and improving the Site.
You can prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or disable cookies altogether by accessing your browser's preferences menu.
If you choose to disable cookies altogether, then it will not be practicable to use the site.Collection and Registration of Personal Information
We sometimes request users of the Site to provide personal information. The information collected from a user is strictly voluntary and includes contact information such as the user's name, e-mail address, and postal address.
In order to access content and to make use of the functionality of the Site such as the discussion fora and the speciation newsletter, we ask you to register and obtain a personal Username and Password. You may be prompted to register when you choose to access the site by clicking on "join EVISA user group".
The information collected from the registration form that is presented to users when they choose to register may include contact information such as the user's name, e-mail address, city, country and job title ("Registration Information"). The Registration Information is linked directly to a personal Username and Password chosen by the user and can only be retrieved by supplying the correct Username and Password that is linked to that profile.How Personal Information Is Used
We use the personal information that you provide for such purposes as:
Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
- completion and support of the activity for which the information was provided, such as allowing access to or delivery of our products or services, responding to your requests or enquiries or facilitating the publication of your work
- website and system administration, such as for the technical support of the Site and its computer system, including processing computer account information, information used in the course of securing and maintaining the Site, and verification of Site activity by the Site or its agents
- research and development to enhance, evaluate and improve the Site and our services
- tailoring or customizing content or design of the Site during a single visit to the Site and individualized personalization of the Site on repeat visits
- pseudonymous analysis to create a profile used to determine the habits, interests or other characteristics of users for purposes of research, analysis and anonymous reporting
- communicating with you about changes or updates to the Site and our services and, with your consent, special offers, promotions or market research surveys
Access to your personal information is restricted to our employees, agents, representatives and service providers, such as our data processing operations or entities for whom we are acting as an agent or publisher, such as societies and our affiliated partners, for the purposes set forth above. Your personal information may be used by all of our trading names and transferred to countries outside of the European Economic Area ("EEA"), including to the United States, for processing. These countries may not have similar data protection laws to the EEA. If we transfer your information outside of the EEA in this way, we will take steps to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected. In addition, if you access the Site while you are outside of the EEA, your information may be transferred outside of the EEA in order to provide you with such access.
With your consent, we also may share your personal information with our business partners located both inside and outside of the EEA in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, India, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan and the United States that wish to send you information about their products and services that may be of interest to you, and users who have consented to receive such communications from these partners. If you wish to hear from us and our affiliated group companies then please tick the appropriate check box when you register or amend your preferences by logging in and clicking on "change personal details" at any time.
We will not otherwise disclose any personal information without your consent except under the following circumstances:
Access and Changes to Your Registration Information and Preferences
- in response to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, or to establish or exercise our rights to defend against legal claims;
- if we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, safety of person or property, violation of our policies, or as otherwise required by law; and
- if EVISA, this Site or related assets or line of business are acquired by, transferred to or merged with another company
Registered Users may access their identified contact information and other Registration Information and correct any discrepancies or update information by logging in and clicking on the "edit user data" link in the "login" section at any time. The accuracy of such information is solely the responsibility of the user. No access is given to other data that may have been collected about users.
If you wish to receive alerts, newsletters, new product announcements, market surveys, special offers or promotions, please tick the appropriate check box when you register or amend your preferences by logging in and clicking on "edit user data" at any time. If you wish to cease receiving any of this information, amend your preferences either by logging in and clicking on "edit user data" at any time; contacting our Customer Service Department at the address or telephone number detailed below; or by using the "opt-out" or unsubscribe option or other means provided within the communications you receive. We reserve the right to notify you of changes or updates to the Site whenever necessary.Retention of Personal Information
We retain the personal information we collect from you for as long as the information is relevant to our business purposes or until you request that we remove the data by contacting our Customer Service Department at the address or telephone number detailed below.Our Commitment to Data Security
European Virtual Institute for Speciation Analysis
48149 Münster, Germany
Tel.: +49 251 980 2680
Fax: +49 251 980 2681
Last revised: April 12 th, 2009