OSHA: Hazard Information Bulletin: Dimethylmercury
Dimethylmercury belongs to a class of organic mercury compounds known as alkyl mercuries. It is used primarily in research. It is a colorless liquid described as having a weak, sweet odor. Dimethylmercury is readily absorbed through the skin. A severely toxic dose requires the absorption of less than 0.1mL. Many materials, including several plastics and rubber compounds, have also been shown to be permeable to this chemical. It is highly reactive and flammable. Because of its high vapor pressure (50-82 mm Hg at 20°C), the inhalation route of entry is also significant.