The ARL ADVANT’X family of X-ray fluorescence (XRF) sequential spectrometers provides the choice of performance and value to suit your true requirements.
It allows analysis of up to 84 elements of the periodic table in conductive or nonconductive solids or liquids. From the monitoring of a few elements in oils,
polymers, cement or quarry materials to the full analysis of glasses, metals, ores,
refractories and geological materials, any of these applications will find its perfect match within this new family of instruments.
Speed of analysis, easy sample preparation, high stability, good precision and wide
dynamic range (from ppm levels to 100%) will prove to be advantages over other
analytical techniques. Powerful standard-less analysis packages, QuantAS,
UniQuant® and OptiQuant, extend the use of these instruments for simple and rapid analysis of totally unknown samples.Unique gearless goniometer
The universal Moiré fringe goniometer constitutes the heart of the ARL ADVANT’X
Series XRF spectrometers. Speed, flexibility and reliability of analysis are guaranteed thanks to the ingenious friction-free positioning system.
Independent rotation of crystal and detector systems is achieved through direct
drive provided by motors fitted directly on each axis of rotation. Crystal and detector are accurately positioned thanks to an electro-optical reader counting Moiré fringes resulting from the interference of two grating systems. This «no gear» design brings several important advantages:
High performance included
- Up to 4800°/min slewing speed which is 5 times faster than a conventional goniometer
- The absence of friction means no wear with time, which assures an excellent angular reproducibility (< ± 0.0002°)
- High accuracy of peak positions, e.g. 0.015° with LiF crystal, such that peaks
- are found at theoretical angles. This is up to 8 times better than on conventional systems
- Alignment of the crystal and detector θ/2θ relationship is performed automatically by the microprocessor.
- Unlike conventional systems, no mechanical adjustments are needed
- The decoupling of movements allows mounting of two detectors side by side.
- Optimized secondary collimators are placed in front of each detector for improved countrate and resolution
- Up to nine crystals can be fitted, allowing the analyst to choose the best crystal for each region of the X-ray spectrum
- Up to 4 primary collimators are available with different angular divergence in order to optimize resolution or intensity
The ARL ADVANT'X Series instruments are equipped with the 4GN end-window X-ray
tube with thin walled tapered nose allowing the closest coupling between anode and
sample. This ensures very high performance measurements on all types of samples. As an option the latest development in X-ray tubes, the 5GN type, with 50 micron Be window rather than 75 microns, can be fitted when light elements (up to Cl) are of particular interest. This thinner window is more transparent to the radiations that are efficient for exciting the ultra-long wavelengths. Together with multilayer “crystals” and the extra-coarse collimator of the universal goniometer, it further improves measurement of elements below magnesium. The Rh anode is recommended for most applications as it provides very efficient excitation over the whole spectrum without interfering with the most commonly determined elements.
Choice of power, the power of choice The ARL ADVANT’X Series spectrometers can
be chosen with an integrated high frequency solid-state generator of varying power in order to best address any type of application. The ARL ADVANT'X+ instrument is fitted with a 1200 W power supply cooled with its own independant circuit, thus avoiding the need of external water cooling. The ARL ADVANT’XP is equipped with
a 3.6 kW power supply which will suit most applications where low limits of detection
and high performance is required. The maximum output for this generator is 60 kV
or optionally 70 kV, while maximum current of 120 mA can be reached.
The ARL ADVANT’XP+ is the top performer in the family with up to 4.2 kW
for those applications where ultimate performance is mandatory. Two types of
power supply can be chosen on this latter instrument. The standard power supply
provides maximum of 60 kV and current up to 120 mA. The optional top performance generator is capable of higher current and voltage. At 140 mA it will provide the best performance on light elements (Be to Ca).
For ultimate excitation of the short wavelengths it can also be operated at 70 kV.