Milestone S.r.l. - ETHOS 1 - Advanced Microwave Digestion Labstation
| Year of introduction
Microwave apparatus: Digester
The all-new ETHOS 1 fully embodies Milestone’s philosophy in microwave sample preparation. Specifically designed for closed vessel acid digestion, it offers an integrated approach to microwave sample preparation, with full control of all reaction parameters.
- Highest microwave power provides fast vessel heating
- Choice of pulsed or unpulsed microwave emission
- Homogeneous microwave distribution throughout the cavity
- Maximum safety through pressure-responsive door
- All stainless-steel construction
- Convenient, user-centric design
- Best-in-class, intuitive user interface
- Fast vessel cooling through powerful air flow system
- Widest and most advanced selection of sensors and pressure vessels
The ETHOS 1 is built from the ground up to offer the highest performance and best safety features in the industry. A wide choice of rotors is available, allowing the ETHOS 1 to process any kind of samples, from the relatively easy environmentals, such as wastewater or sludge, to the most challenging, such as ceramics or refractory materials.
Furthermore, Milestone’s visionary concept of Total Microwave Sample Preparation, finds in the ETHOS 1 its highest expression.
With the proper choice of accessory, the ETHOS 1 turns into a first-class instrument for open vessel acid digestion, sample drying, solution evaporation, and even solvent extraction or protein hydrolysis.
All in a single microwave system: the all-new ETHOS 1.
- Dual magnetron system with pyramid-shaped diffuser for homogeneous microwave distribution in the cavity.
- Magnetron protection from reflected microwave power.
- Installed microwave power 1.600 watts.
- Output microwave power 1.500 watts, controlled via microprocessor.
- User-selectable continuous and pulsed microwave emission.
- Patented self-sealing pressure responsive door.
- Large microwave cavity 35 x 35 x 35(h) cm.
- Cavity illumination.
- Microwave cavity entirely made of 18/8 stainless steel housing with multi-layer PTFE plasma coating applied at over 350°C.
- All hardware protected against acids/organic solvents with polymer coating both on inside and outside surfaces.
- Total of 7 micro-switches of which 4 safety interlocks to prevent microwave emission with door open.
- Exhaust located above the cavity, separate from electronics to prevent corrosion.
- Direct temperature monitor and control via thermocouple or fiber optic up to 300°C in a reference vessel.
- Contact-less temperature monitor and control via infrared up to 300°C in all vessels.
- Direct pressure monitor and control via pressure transducer up to 100 bar in a reference vessel.
- Contact-less pressure monitor and control via coulometric sensor up to the vessels highest working pressure.
- Touch-screen industrial grade controller 6,5” screen with 65.000 colours.
- VGA resolution 640x480 for sharp process graphic.
- 1 USB port for printer, 2 PS2 ports for mouse and keyboard, 3 RS 232 ports for external devices.
- Methods and runs saved on Windows®-compatibleremovable flash-card.
- Weight ~ 90 kg.
- External dimensions 55 x 55 x 65(h) cm.
- Electrical supply voltage 220V/50-60Hz.
- Power consumption 3500 watt.
Standard Methods Compliance
U.S. EPA Methods
EPA Method 3052
Microwave-Assisted Acid Digestion of Siliceous and Organically Based Matrices.
EPA Method 3051a
Microwave-Assisted Acid Digestion of Sediments, Sludges, Soils, and Oils.
EPA Method 3015a
Microwave-Assisted Acid Leach of Aqueous Samples and Extracts.
EPA Method 3546
Microwave Extraction of semi-volatile organic compounds, organophosphorus pesticides, organochlorine pesticides, chlorinated herbicides, phenoxyacid herbicides, substituted phenols, PCBs, and PCDDs/PCDFs, which may then be analyzed by a variety of chromatographic procedures.
ASTM (American Society of Testing and Materials) Methods
Standard Practice for Sample Digestion Using Closed-Vessel Microwave
Heating Technique for the Determination of Total Metals in Water.
Standard Practice for Solvent Extraction of Total Petroleum Hydrocarbons from Soils and Sediments using Closed Vessel Microwave Heating.
Standard Practice for Closed Vessel Microwave Solvent Extraction of Organic Compounds from Solid Matrices.
International Regulations Compliance
Suitable for RoHS (Restriction of the use of certain Hazardous Substances in electrical and electronic equipment), WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) and ELV (End-of-Life Vehicles) sample preparation.