Bruker Daltonics - ultraflex II & ultraflex II TOF/TOF
| Year of introduction
Mass spectrometer: MALDI
|Features the latest advancements in the sensitivity, resolution and mass accuracy of MALDI-TOF and TOF/TOF technology for high-success expression proteomics and advanced biomarker discovery studies.
The latest advancements in MALDI-TOF and TOF/TOF MS
Uncompromised TOF-MS performance
- The ultraflex II incorporates next-generation MALDI-TOF and TOF/TOF technology, including
- Greatly increased sensitivity by an order of magnitude, delivered by advanced LIFT technology and ion optics, as well as enhanced TOF/TOF resolution
- High mass resolution over a broad mass range, delivered by the proprietary panoramic PAN technology
- Unique T3-sequencing capabilities, allowing top-down sequence analysis on many intact proteins with ease
- High-throughput analysis and sensitive detection of labile protein modifications delivered by tunable laser speed from 1-200Hz
The ultraflex II uses our patented gridless ion source and reflectron design, providing unsurpassed sensitivity in the standard MALDI-TOF MS mode. The "TOF only" configuration is field upgradeable to full MALDI-TOF/TOF capability. Superior MS/MS data - at the speed of MALDI-TOF! Measure MS/MS spectra with rapid precursor ion selection and our proprietary LIFT technology. Full MS/MS data sets are acquired in just seconds!
With full microtiterplate compatibility the ultraflex II seamlessly interfaces with the biochemical lab. Our patented AnchorChip MALDI target technology provides homogeneous, exactly-positioned samples for robust and fast automation, as well as a sensitivity boost by an order of magnitude.
Experience uncompromised performance based on a modified All-Solid-State Laser System. With smartbeam, application possibilities of a solid-state laser are dramatically expanded:
maintain uncompromised dried-droplet HCCA performance
achieve highest sensitivity from thin layer preparations (enables on-target sample purification)
maximize linear instrument performance for large protein applications
increase the variety of useful matrices (e. g. DHB, SA)
gain perfect access to MALDI-Imaging with highest repetition rates
Expanding possibilities in all applications – from thin layer robotics preparations to large proteins and CLINPROT applications, smartbeam offers significant enhancements in sensitivity and mass resolution compared to a classical 200 Hz Nd:YAG laser.
smartbeam combines the advantages of both, the known nitrogen laser performance and the highest reliability of all-solid-state lasers.
Next-generation AnchorChip targets
The novel Prespotted AnchorChip MALDI targets in industry-standard microtitre plate (MTP) format provide highest sensitivity, user-friendliness and reliability without the risk of any cross-contamination that is inherent to reusable targets.
Integrated software environment
The ultraflex II operates within the powerful Compass software environment. Compass offers a seamless link with the most comprehensive proteomics software suite in the industry, including the ProteinScape database for proteomics project management.
High-success Protein Identification from 2D gels
The ultraflex II is part of the PROTEINEER system for peptide mass fingerprinting, peptide fragment analysis and post-translational modifications (PTM) analysis. The ultraflex II TOF/TOF enables high-throughput protein identification by MALDI-TOF peptide mass fingerprinting, immediately followed by more detailed protein characterization using MALDI-TOF/TOF tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS) on the same prepared sample. Comprehensive MS/MS information is available from minute sample amounts within a few seconds.
De novo sequencing
The ultraflex TOF/TOF provides two MS/MS methods for de-novo sequencing:
1. For highest specificity, LID-LIFT TOF/TOF MS is the method of choice, providing clear spectra with readily available i-, a-, b- and y-ions.
2. For in-depth analysis of selected peptides, high-energy CID (collision-induced decomposition) is available as well.
Protein Identification and Quantitation by LC-MALDI
The PROTEINEER-LC solution package provides the unique, intelligent WARP-LC workflow for LC-MALDI experiments. Low abundant proteins can be identified and characterized at great detail using MALDI-TOF/ TOF. This workflow can be further enhanced by a combination with LC-ESI-MS/MS data. The resulting LC-ESI-MALDI-MS/MS workflow utilizes complementary information from two ionization techniques in a single experiment, providing a new level of insight. Quantitative expression proteomics experiments with various isotope labeling techniques including ICAT™* can be realized as well.
*ICAT is a trademark of the University of Washington.
The unique T3-sequencing capability allows top-down sequence analysis on many intact proteins.
Advanced Biomarker Discovery
The ultraflex II is fully integrated into the CLINPROT solution for high-resolution peptide and protein biomarker discovery, identification and validation.
An innovation in quantitative proteomics is the two-dimensional peptide imaging of cells or tissue extracts called MALDI Imaging. This technology is fully supported by the new flexImaging 1.0 software.
TOF and TOF/TOF Performance
- Long lifetime nitrogen (N2) laser as standard
- Optional smartbeam laser, repetition rate tunable from 1 to 200 Hz
- Higher sequence coverage, search scores and success rate of protein ID through:
- Proprietary PAN™ (panoramic mass range focussing) technology
- High-Precision Calibration (HPC™) for highest mass accuracy
- Advanced AnchorChip™ sample preparation technology
- Ultimate MS and MS/MS sensitivity
- Unique T3 sequencing capability for top-down protein sequence analysis
scoutMTP™/AnchorChip MALDI targets in 384 and 1536 microtiter plate format
Sample target identification via transponder or optional barcode reader
Compass™ software suite
- flexControl™ module for quick and easy instrument control
- Fuzzy-logic based AutoXecute™ engine for on-the-fly optimization of spectral quality
- flexAnalysis module for automated and interactive data analysis, including integration with BioTools™, ProteinScape™, ClinProTools™, GenoTools™, and search engines
- Optional LC-MALDI (WARP-LC™) and MALDI Imaging (flexImaging™) software modules
- Optional Compass Security Pack™ for work in regulated environments (21CFR part 11 compliance)
- Remote on-line service capability via WebEx Internet sessions
- Extended self diagnostics
- Remote on-line service capability via WebEx Internet sessions
- Supplementary IQ/OQ/PV procedures available
- The ultraflex II is fully integrated with Bruker Daltonics’ system solution